Wednesday 28 July 2010

LibraryThing : a continuing adventure


I've started using LibraryThing to catalogue my collection of polar travel books.  I discovered immediately how important it is to note ISBNs or publication dates as well as authors/titles before you start to add your books as there are numerous editions of some classic tales from the Heroic Age of Exploration.

I am not convinced that I will use LibraryThing to promote new books at the Centre of South Asian Studies. I operate as a half-man band and consequently rarely have time to keep up with new publications and cataloguing, yet alone creating a separate catalogue in LibraryThing to generate book covers regularly. I can imagine LibraryThing being used in libraries with more staff, as ISBNs could be added whilst staffing an enquiry desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment